Self-expressionism or losing yourself?

24 Nov 2007

Yesterday I was surfing on MySpace and I've found some profiles which were so distasteful and provocing that I started to think about self-expressionism.

I recognised a strong wave of need for self-expessionism in recent years. There have always been movements from which subcultures emerged with their own clothing-styles and slogens, they all had something to say and think about. But as I see in this great jungle formed by cities less and less people think that they can mark out from the crowd. In order to make themselves memorable, they start to create an outstanding outfit with studs, extreme colours, extreme hairstyles, plenty of badges and other things. It wouldn't be bad if it meant something real opposition under the surface. Instead most of these rebels decorate themselves with signs of opposition against oppression but without real values and principles. And without real opposition.

They are more like lost children who just can't find their values and places in the world. Kitchy wrecks without meaningful thoughts inside. Only educated minds can stand up for their rights, these exhibition-like teenagers only fight with their fears and perplexity.

Sometimes the more you want to show to the world from yourself, the less exists inside.

5 comments:

  1. szösz said...:

    The finishing line is quite pessimist, but generally true, I'm afraid.

  1. Unknown said...:

    Maybe so, but maybe not so. I am not convinced that what you present is always true, but of course I accept this as your opinion. It's just that I do not see how you have come to form it. Also, I am not sure I am on the same page with you in terms of the need of education in standing up for our rights -- what sort of education do you mean?

  1. elevennap said...:

    I meant that a person should bear a certain amount of knowledge in order to be able to represent his/her opinion and to create his own point of view. I didn't say this concept is always true, I said I see more and more people without real values and thoughts. Of course, there are exceptions and the ones who belong to a real movement.

  1. Keke said...:

    There is a proverb for this: "if someone knows less, he wants to show something, but if you know more, you want to hide the things that you don't know."
    These people try to show something which is not really their own.

  1. Anonymous said...:

    "What has been, that will be; what has been done, that will be done. Nothing is new under the sun."