23 Mar 2008
"And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for."
This is a quotation from Dead Poets Society. I watched this film 2 days ago and I would say that this is one of the films that I would set compulsory for everyone.

I often hear from people from who I ask about literature this tipical sentence: "I've never liked 'hungarian'." So we often separate the particles of our life into subjects. But I also think that this is also the responsibility of educational system and teachers. I don't think we should put literature and poetry into a box with a label: "Something you should study." I think this is the most subjective subject in the world.

Of course we should learn about famous poets and writers to establish basics. But we also should create our own opinion and a viewpoint. I think poetry should talk about everyday life but should be more than it. And its task is to break away from ordinary, monotonous problems and to enhance the will to solve them and not to fade away in them. Because numbers are only stand for a frame, but the picture itself should be personal, unforgettable, romantic and poetic.

I was thinking about whether publish one of my poems here or not (if it can be considered a poem), but finally I decided to do it. I don't want anybody to comment it if they don't want to, neither to lie about it. It's just a part of me, it was born in one moment of my life. It is in Hungarian I hope it doesn't bother you.

Tea

Alabástrom szépségű nő,
Ó Lucifer, igen, ez ő.
Forgatja a kardot, vív és lő,
Vele zuhansz és nincs ejtőernyő.
Hús a hússal, vér a vérrel keveredik,
Míg eszed ebből végül kikeveredik.
Forog, pörög, lüktet a tánc,
Kínzó, éget ez a vad románc.
Kezeden és szemeden ott a lánc
És sikít
És ráz
És elemészt
És vége.
Aztán rájössz délre,
Hogy sütteted a hasad az ágyban,
Forró víz már a kádban
És csak a cselédlány hozott teát.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Well, I did not like that movie. My problem was that it uses very strong stereotypes. Using simplified roles like young heroes and narrow-minded old guys makes the movie a bit superficial. To me, I mean.

  1. elevennap said...:

    Yeah, it is simplified. but I think today we don't need anything more than simplicity. simple heroes, simple courage, simple warm-hearted old guys. to turn back to values, not trying to search for mistakes. sometimes this is the way. To me, of course.

  1. Zsani said...:

    WoW, your poem was good. In secondary school we had to analyze poems, I didn't know how to do it and I usually thought how the hell I have to know what the poet thought at that time when s/he wrote the poem... This time we can ask the poet. (^.^)

  1. Király Eszter said...:

    I like your poem, don't hesitate to publish your other compositions in your blog! On the other hand your blog is beautiful, shows harmony and happiness, I love it!

  1. elevennap said...:

    Thank you so much!!:)

  1. Balage said...:

    Hey Rastagirl!!

    You are a genious !!! Seriously!!
    I like your poem very much!
    So,you have to continue writing poems!!!

    And luckily we spoke to each other before the film-Dead Poets Society- so I could watch it as well and I liked it so much...it's different from popular action films and sometimes it's good to watch films like this...
    So Thanks again! :D

  1. Unknown said...:

    Welcome to the Living Poets' Society!

  1. érinthetetlen said...:

    Dead Poets Society is part of the general education!(I think :) ) The poem was good and I have a furious and obvious question: Where are your other poems?!

  1. Lilla Vass said...:

    Dear Vera,

    You should continue it. I really liked your poem. I think poems are very healthy....helps your soul:)


    GO ON!!!!