Dalí the genious

16 Mar 2008
One day I got lots of paintings on my computer by Salvador Dalí from one of my roomates. I have already known about his weird, surrealist style and it touched me as well but now I managed to see his work in a greater frame I would say.

He was born in Spain in 1904. Maybe his best known painting is The Persistence of Memory. He had a wide range of activities, he was a painter, a film maker, a sculptor and also a photographer. He also worked with such great names like Walt Disney and Hitchcock.Dali.

He left all the conventions, was willful and energetic. He supported Franco's regime in Spain, as a consequence he was excluded from the surrealist group. At which Dalí put a neat retort: "I myself am surrealism". When this sentence echoed in my head I realised its power. He was able to contradict his group and was able to rise above their expectations. He created himself as a notion. It needs a strong personality.

In his paintings he uses symbols like elephants, clocks or eggs. He rethinks reality and adds some spice to it. daliHis point of view is always subjective and innovative, that's why it is so hard to emphatize with his artistic values and that's why it is so easy to notice them. Any different can be said about his photos and sculptures. Many of his works just can't be chategorised, the films are flubbergasting, one of them starts with a picture of cutting an eyeball with a razor.

Finally I'd like to add a quotation from him. "I am painting pictures which make me die for joy, I am creating with an absolute naturalness, without the slightest aesthetic concern, I am making things that inspire me with a profound emotion and I am trying to paint them honestly."-Salvador Dalí

6 comments:

  1. Balage said...:

    Salvador Dali was an incredible figure...As you said,he was dealing with painting,sculpture,film making,photographing...As for me,I would be happy if I did at least one of these abilities at such a high level.


    It's an honour to be the first commenter of this post.:D:D

  1. Keke said...:

    Fortunately I could saw a few paintings of Dali. It was fantastic, and for a few months one of his painting was my background on my computer.

  1. kerubino said...:

    I love Dalí, in my opinion he was a unique artist and his works are fascinating. I saw lots of pictures from him and the film too, that he made with Bunuel . Every time I look at one of his paintings I recognise his style immediately. The most important thing is about makes us feel something.

  1. Réka said...:

    "Mistakes are almost always of a sacred nature. Never try to correct them. On the contrary: rationalize them, understand them thoroughly. After that, it will be possible for you to sublimate them. "
    This is my favourite quotation from Dali. Last year there was a Dali exhibition in Szombathely, it was a small one but he enchanted me. I can't find the proper word for him, it's certain he was a genious.

  1. Balint said...:

    A genious, an artist, a polihistor.. Absolutely.. He was so. :) I'm glad that You All like his style. Although I'm not an expert in surrealism for istance, I have a high opinion of Him. I had chance to see several masterpiece of Dalí in Figueres, Spain, 2 years ago in "Museo de Dalí". Unforgettable..

  1. niki said...:

    Last week I entered in the bookshop. After a half hour, I was on my way to leave, but than I glanced a Dalí album..I stayed for another half hour.. :]
    He was a real genious, one of the biggest..I love his works..those always makes me amazed. He is my favourite!