6 feet higher

16 Nov 2010

Oh My God...that was my first reaction to the music of Dub.FX.
Benjamin Stanford was born in Melbourne, Australia and started his career just like his many other fellow street artists. Singing for himself, then for the lucky audience of the street, he became one of the most listened performers of Youtube. (His song "Love Someone" was listened to over 4,000,000 times).
His magic lies not merely in the music itself, but in the way he creates it. That is, everything he does is live music, all the sounds, vocals and beats are made by the man himself. These are controlled with effect pedals and are recorded by a technique called real-time looping. His style covers D'n'B, hiphop, electric and reggae elements.
By now, his talent carried him to the most prestigeous festivals all over the World. One of these was last weekend's Fridge Festival of Budapest which I could attend fortunately, and I must say, this was a great choice. Dub.FX held a performance I will remember for long. He was the same humble and honest man I got to know from his videos recorded on the streets. Benjamin does not have star manners but the manners of making his audience enjoy music. By his devotion, he got six feet higher: from the street to the stage.
What is the lesson to learn? For me absolutely this: if you stay honest, devoted and subservient towards the thing you do, you will get appreciation and love without asking for it.

1 comments:

  1. Hvitfalk said...:

    I am happy that you had a great time there :)