virtual world

6 Nov 2010

I always wonder why people tend to enjoy the virtual life offered by video games more than their real ones.
Now it is a global phenomenon that children get acquainted with the computer quite early in their evolutionary process. So one may think this is the lunacy of the youth, but the surprising fact is that the average age of players is 32. According to some statistics of an online educational website video games are played in 65% of households in the USA. In my opinion this is rather terrifying.
In my childhood the common way of playing and entertainment was to meet friends and do some hide-and-seek or play with the ball in the garden. If my parents wanted me to develop my logic and methodical or combinational skills they would give me some Lego or building cubes. Nowadays children spend the majority of their free time indoors. I believe that formation of creative skills will fade away with the infringement of virtual worlds. You get the ready-made commands, goals and circumstances...you don't even have to think. You don't have to take responsibility, because games offer the possibility of saving. So if you fail, well, let's turn back time and do it once again. I admit that this is quite comfortable. But what about real life? Now it is said everywhere that teachers and TV programmes have to fascinate children, otherwise they get bored . This becomes a vicious circle which is rather hard to quit....not to mention the disadvantageous effects on children's psyche.

1 comments:

  1. Hvitfalk said...:

    I totally agree. Today everyone try to gain excitement, happiness and relaxation from idiotic games.
    Also true if we think of the community sites, chats or other net based games. So alltogether: virtual world kills human contact.

    "Look into yourself, Simba..."